7.09.2006

My Dad Rocks!

I'm not even touching the last few games. But I'd like to take a second to thank my Dad.

Not sure how it is for most of you, but when a Tribe game becomes boring, or too horrid to watch, the people we hang with at the bar start talking Cleveland sports history. Always it seems that someone, usually an older guy, comes up with an unanswerable question regarding The Tribe, or The Browns. Even the guy that posed the Q has no answer.

Enter my Father.

The man is a Cleveland Sports savante. I swear to all the Sports Gods that ever were. Just the other night we were talking about stadiums. the Jake, Muni, and that other one. Now, I can picture the other one. My dad used to drive me by it every single time we were in Cleve. I couldn't, for the life of me remember the name of the other one. There were like six of us all looking at each other trying to remember the other one's name. It wasn't too late, so I call my Dad. Of course his first response when I asked about the other one was Muni. And then I'm all, no, no, the other one. About 1.5 seconds later, he goes, League Park, 68th & Lexington. I said he's good at that stuff.

Now here's one that I won 5 bucks on once, that he also knew without hesitation and was half asleep at the time I asked. The only ball player ever killed by a pitch. Do you know, without looking it up? The first correct answer will result in me baking my famous creampuffs, and delivered anyplace within a 30 minute drive of Akron.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ray Chapman, August 16, 1920. he's buried in the cemetary across from Jacobs Field. That is WAY too easy. Save the creampuffs!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Jon Sladek said...

I'm sure your dad is impressive, but League Park? For gosh sakes, any Clevelander that DOESN'T know that should be taken behind the barn and shot. Exactly what kind of bar is this?

What was the next question, who managed the Indians to the World Series in '95 and '97?? LOL

6:08 PM  
Blogger thatchick said...

I know. I really do. But picture 5 or 6 people, most of them my elder by 20 some years not knowing/remembering.

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A better question would be wo ho was the Yankee bastard who beaned him...

10:06 PM  
Blogger thatchick said...

Oooh. I like that one. I even know the answer. How about the date it happened?

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carl Mays. A sidearmer with a reputation for intimidating. He struck Chapman in the left temple with a pitch at the Polo Grounds on Aug. 16, 1920. Chapman died the next day.

The beaning helped add momentum to a movement to outlaw the spitball, and to get dirty, misshapen baseballs removed from play in favor of cleaner, more tightly-wound ones.

If you watched the Ken Burns baseball series, he pretty much credits the beaning with ushering in the era of the home run.

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To hell with your famous creampuffs. What happened to your famous rack?

3:45 PM  
Blogger Jon Sladek said...

What do I have to do to get on your list of favorite blogs? Mine is the hottest thing going!

torturedfans.blogspot.com

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home